Some foods are just meant to go together: Peanut butter and jelly. Macaroni and cheese. Cookies and milk. Chocolate and, well, anything. The perfect combination can mean the difference between great and absolutely delicious.
The same thing goes with candy. Contrasting flavors -- sweet and sour -- and textures -- soft and chewy -- can complement each other and enhance the overall candy consumption experience. It's definitely something to keep in mind when you're stocking up for trick-or-treaters this Halloween.
Here are a few of our favorite candy combinations to inspire you:
1. Chocolate-covered pretzels and caramels: There's nothing more classic than chocolate and caramel. Throwing salty-crunchiness into the mix cranks the flavor profile to 11. What's not to like?
2. Lollipops and tootsie rolls: Hard shell meets soft and chewy candy -- looks like we're on to something!
3. Apple hard candy and red hots: If you're looking for seasonal flavors, there's no more perfect combination for fall than apple-cinnamon.
4. Peppermints and chocolate: Mint and chocolate have been flavoring everything from ice cream and candy bars to cakes and cookies.
5. Salt water taffy and milk chocolate: We can't get enough of pairing salty with sweet. The chocolate also adds richness to the chewy taffy.
6. Lemon jelly beans and ginger hard candy: Those two foods are typically paired together for their medicinal qualities, but the flavors work well together, too. In fact, lemon is so versatile, you could also match it with raspberry or blueberry hard candies -- whatever strikes your fancy!
What's your favorite candy combination?
Images via foxypar4/Flickr