August is the hottest month of the summer ... and this summer is already a scorcher. The last thing I want to do is turn on my oven or stand over a burning hot stove. I can feel the sweat droplets forming just thinking about it. Elch!
So my favorite thing to do in summer is throw monthly after-work parties out on my terrace. But this time around, I'm going to beat the heat with an all no-cook menu.
See what I'll be serving up ...
For the Appetizers
- Prosciutto Crostini -- Layer slices of French bread (untoasted) with a little olive oil, basil leaf, and salty prosciutto.
- Marinated Mozzarella -- Toss sliced mozz in olive oil, lemon, red pepper, rosemary, thyme, and oregano.
For the Main Course
All you need is your blender and/or chopping skills for these yummy dishes.
- Gazpacho -- Cold summer soup with a tomato base and fresh veggies like peppers, onions, and cukes.
- Hummus -- Yummy chickpea puree with cumin, lemon, and paprika.
- Tabbouleh -- Super-fresh summer salad with bulghur wheat (soak in water for a few hours rather than boiling), lemon, tomatoes, garlic, and tons of parsley.
- Ceviche -- Seafood like shrimp or scallops is cooked by the acid from citrus like lemons and lime. Hint: Buy pre-cooked shrimp and add seasonings and lemon juice.
- Watermelon Feta Salad -- Combine juicy watermelon with tart, creamy feta. Add a dash of lime and some chopped mint leaves.
For the Dessert
- Fruit Kabobs -- Layer summer fruits like berries and melon on a skewer. Drizzle with honey and serve with yogurt for dipping.
- Strawberry Mint Granita -- This icy dessert is kinda like Italian ice. Combine strawberries, sugar, water, lemon, and mint and freeze. Rake with a fork every few hours to get that ice crystal effect.
Would you try my Mediterranean-themed no-cook summer menu?