I'm in the midst of planning a Rubik's Cube party at my apartment and, because I'm completely obsessed with themes, I'm even making the punches match the colors of the cube. There are six colors (blue, red, green, yellow, orange, and white), and I have found six punches to serve. Granted, I probably won't use all six (I'm not having that many guests), but a girl likes to have options.
So if you're planning your own Rubik's Cube party or just looking for a punch of a specific hue, here are six colored punches that I love:
White Sangria: This is one of those perfect summer drinks, so it will taste delicious on the hot August evening of my party. It's also extremely easy and versatile; just mix all of the ingredients together.
- 1 liter sparkling beverage, such as ginger-ale or seltzer water (I prefer ginger-ale)
- 4 bottles white wine (I suggest using dry whites, such as Chardonnay).
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup fruit-flavored liquor, such as peach or apricot Schnapps, Grand Marnier, Midori, Chambord
- Add in any kinds of fruits that you like: oranges, mangoes, apples, cherries, the list can go on and on.
Lime Sherbert Punch: This is a non-alcoholic punch recipe, but if you want to make it for adults only, replace the ginger ale with champagne. In a punch bowl, add the ginger ale and pineapple juice (and champagne if you're adding in booze) over the lime sherbert. Decorate with lemon and lime slices, and Maraschino cherries.
- 2 quarts lime sherbet
- 2 liters ginger ale
- 1 (46-ounce) can pineapple juice
- Lemon slices
- Lime slices
- Maraschino cherries
Orange Dream Punch: Very similar to the green punch -- I love those sherbert punches! It tastes just like one of those orange creamsicles. Place sherbet and frozen orange juice concentrate in a punch bowl and allow them to thaw for 10 to 15 minutes. Then stir in ginger ale (or champagne).
- 1/2 gallon orange sherbert
- 1 (6-ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 (2-liter) bottle ginger ale (optional: replace with champagne)
Party Punch IV: If this is #4, I'm curious as to what the first three were. Combine all ingredients into a punch bowl, floating the oranges and cherries on top.
- 1 (16-ounce) can frozen pineapple juice concentrate
- 1 (12-fluid-ounce) can frozen orange juice
- 12 fluid ounces vodka
- 2 (2-liter) bottles lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage, chilled
- 1 (4-ounce) jar maraschino cherries
- 4 oranges, sliced into rounds
Pomegranate Champagne Punch: The original recipe calls for only six servings, so I took the liberty of doing the math for you (you're welcome) for an average punch amount. Combine all ingredients, and then add in lemon slices.
- 8 cups champagne
- 4 cups pomegranate juice
- 4 cups seltzer
- 2 cups citrus vodka
- Lemon slices
Blue Hawaiian Punch: This punch comes out to be more of an aquamarine blue color, so add a few drops of blue food coloring if you want a darker hue. Add first three ingredients into a punch bowl, then slowly add sweet and sour mix to taste. Garnish with pineapple wedges.
- 1 liter Blue Curacao
- 2 quarts pineapple juice
- 1 3/4 liters coconut rum
- Sweet and sour mix
- Pineapple wedges
Another tip: Instead of adding ice directly to the punch, slip the punch bowl into a larger container that's filled with ice. That way, the punch stays chilled and doesn't get watered down.
What's your favorite kind of party punch?
Image via Edvill/Flickr