Craving something you can really sink your teeth into?
How about a monster of a sandwich? (And no, you don't have to be a 300-pound, 6-foot-5 tall man to down one of these babies.)
Places like Carnegie Deli and 2nd Avenue Deli in New York are famous for serving up these titanic 'wiches that are piled high with a whole pound of meat. But should you find yourself outside the Big Apple you can also order over-sized sandwiches at places like KFC and Carl's Jr.
Check out my five reasons why you should order up a super-sized sandie.
1. You can share with a friend and split the cost. Just BYOB (bring your own bread), and divide it back at the office.
2. Use the leftover lunch meat to make another sandwich the next day, or chop it up to put in a chef's salad.
3. Toss your extra meat into your eggs the next morning: Any kind of cured meat like ham, prosciutto, or salami works well in your omelet. Add a green pepper and you're on your way to a restaurant-quality breakfast. Plan B: Wrap in a tortilla to take it to go!
4. They are easy on the carbs. Pick piled-high lean meat like turkey with barely-there slices of bread (whole wheat, natch) while you're watching your waistline; just skip the mayo and cheese and go heavy on the veggies like lettuce, tomato and onion.
5. You get more than what you paid for. In NYC, everything is overpriced and super tiny. It's nice to know you're getting more bang for your buck. And anything that makes it to leftovers goes into my cheap eats book.
Would you try to tackle one of these over-sized sandwiches?
Image via Vauvau/Flickr