Skip the hot dogs and burgers this July 4th for a yummy alternative.
There is nothing more American than barbecue ... the sauce AND the action. So fire up the grill and serve your guests the best BBQ chicken. It's sweet, tangy, spicy, and oh so good.
Here is how to whip it up ...
Best BBQ Chicken from Everyday Food
- Vegetable oil, for grates
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- Coarse salt & ground pepper
- 3 pounds chicken ... breasts, thighs, or legs
- 2 cups Simple Barbecue Sauce (see below)
- Heat grill to medium. Lightly oil grates.
- In a small bowl, combine paprika, chili powder, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; sprinkle spice rub all over chicken.
- Reserve 1 cup barbecue sauce in small bowl for serving. Keep remaining sauce in another bowl for basting.
- Grill chicken, turning often, until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes (if browning too quickly, move to cooler part of grill).
- During final 5 minutes of cooking, baste chicken with barbecue sauce. Serve chicken with reserved sauce.
Best BBQ Sauce from Everyday Food
- 1 (24-ounce) bottle ketchup (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, and simmer until sauce is thickened and reduced by a third, about 30 minutes.
- Let cool to room temperature before using.
- To store, refrigerate up to 2 weeks. Makes 3 1/2 cups.
Images via The Bitten Word/Flickr