Flickr photo by BitmanThere are few things that scream summer more than a delicious, fresh ear of corn on the cob. Whether I stop at a roadside stand and get it fresh from the farm or pick it up at my local market, I love the ritual of coming home and shucking it with my son, teaching him to remove all the strings.
Then comes deciding how to cook it, because there are so many amazing ways to serve it up. Here are five of my favorites. And I should tell you that do hail from the Cornhusker State (Nebraska), so I know what I'm talking about.
1. Grilled Mexican Style This is an amazing way to give your corn a little kick. Check it out, because this recipe calls for cheese!
2. BBQ Chicken and Corn This recipe allows you to cook your chicken and your corn together, in the crock pot. It's an easy and delicious meal. Just put it together in the morning, then enjoy in the evening.
3. Avocado and Corn Salsa Corn gives spicy salsa such a nice sweet twist, and there are recipes galore that include it. Personally, I like this one because it involves the avocado (another of my favorite summer foods) as well. This with some baked tortilla chips and a glass of cold, white wine is my perfect summer meal.
4. Corn on the Cob with Feta and Herbs When I saw this recipe from Whole Foods, I couldn't get to the grocery store soon enough. They suggest serving with extra butter, but you definitely don't need it.
5. Corn Straight Up While I love the smoky flavor a grill adds, if I'm not firing it up, then simply boiling corn in a pot of water does the job just fine.
What's your favorite way to eat corn on the cob?