Photo from Magnolia Bakery
In celebration of the release of Sex and the City 2 tomorrow, New York's Magnolia Bakery -- where Miranda and Carrie famously ate pink cupcakes while talking about Carrie's new crush, Aidan -- is offering a "Carrie Cupcake" for $2.75. It's a classic vanilla cupcake with pink butter-cream frosting and a daisy on top!
And if for some reason you can't make it to New York, here's how to make your own:
Vanilla Cupcakes (from the Food Network)
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line 2 (1/2 cup-12 capacity) muffin tins with cupcake papers.
3. In a small bowl, combine flours. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, on medium speed of an electric mixer, cream butter until smooth. Add sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until ingredients are incorporated, but do not over beat.
5. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down batter in the bowl to make sure ingredients are well blended. Carefully spoon batter into cupcake liners, filling them about 3/4 full. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
6. Cool cupcakes in tins 15 minutes. Remove from tins and cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
Pink Butter-Cream Frosting
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups sifted confectioners sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Red food coloring
Cream butter, salt, and vanilla, beating until light and fluffy. Add sugar gradually, beating after each addition. Add 3 tablespoons milk, beating until smooth. Beat in more milk until desired spreading consistency is reached. Add 1 or 2 small drops red food coloring and continue beating until you have a uniform pale pink color. Makes about 2 1/3 cups of frosting (enough to frost tops and sides of an 8-inch, 2-layer cake or 1 dozen cupcakes).
Are you going to see Sex and the City 2?