Flickr photo by CQWith Memorial Day quickly approaching, grills all around the country will be firing up, charring burgers, hot dogs, brats, etc.
As tasty as all that sounds (my mouth is watering just thinking about it), we have to keep our vegetarian friends in mind. They like grilled items just as much as we carnivores do -- don't think tossing a salad and calling it a day is adequate.
Here are 10 vegetarian-friendly foods that are ah-mazing grilled:
- Corn on the Cob: This is a given, and usually served at barbecues, but I had to mention it because it's so good.
- Figs: Serve with ricotta cheese ... yum!
- Bananas: Grill these fruits up and serve them with banana splits. The hot-cold combo will be mouthwatering.
- Watermelon: Pour balsamic vinegar over it and sprinkle some feta cheese on top -- delicious.
- Other Fruits: Mangoes, oranges, pineapples, peaches, strawberries ... all delicious.
- Sweet Potatoes: Hit them with honey before they're completely done.
- Romaine Lettuce: Slightly charred lettuce makes an amazing Greek salad.
- Veggies: Peppers, mushrooms, onions, beets, asparagus, and okra are all better grilled.
- Pizza: Soak or brush (depending on how hot your grill gets) olive oil on the crust to prevent burning.
- Bread: Add a little olive oil and bruschetta. Magnifico!