Flickr Photo by PlatI'm so not a salad girl. I love my veggies, but lettuce of any kind just doesn't do it for me.
There is one exception, of course: Strawberry Spinach Salad.
The spinach has a slightly peppery taste that balances nicely with the sweet and tart aspects of the strawberries. Plus, it's the perfect light dish to make if you have any strawberries left over from yesterday's Grilled Tilapia With Strawberry Chutney.
This salad is super-fresh, light, and topped with all sorts of goodies. See which extras I like to toss in mine ...
Strawberry Spinach Salad
- 3 cups spinach
- 1/4 cup salted sunflower seeds, deshelled (optional)
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese (optional)
- 5 to 6 sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon each of salt, pepper, and sugar
1. In a bowl (or salad spinner), rinse your spinach really, really well and dry with paper towels or dish towel.
2. Combine spinach, sunflower seeds, goat cheese, and strawberries in a bowl and mix well.
3. In another bowl, combine vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, and sugar. Whisk well and pour over salad.
4. Toss salad so all leaves are covered. You just want a light coating so your spinach doesn't get soggy. Many people use way too much dressing when they only need a light coating.
What do you like to put in your salad?