Flickr photo by thepinkpeppercorn
In honor of one of the year's most important holidays -- National Chocolate Chip Day -- I'm posting my favorite recipe for chocolate chip cookies.
Chocolate Chip Cookies from 101 Cookbooks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans, toasted and chopped
1. Beat sugars and butter together until smooth. Mix in egg, vanilla, and baking soda. Combine flour and salt, then mix into the batter. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
2. Scoop cookie dough into 2-tablespoon balls and place 8 balls, spaced 4 inches apart, on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake about 18 minutes, or until pale golden brown, at 300 degrees F on rack placed in top 1/3 of the oven.
3. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Store at room temperature in an airtight container up to 3 days.