Next up ... dessert. The first thing that came to mind was carrot cake -- natch. But I wanted something a little different.
I found this recipe for Carrot Cake Cookie Sandwiches.
One word: Yum!
Carrot Cake Cookie Sandwiches from Everyday Food
For the filling:
- 1 (2-ounce) bar cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
For the cookies:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup packed, finely grated, peeled carrots
- 1/3 cup dried currants or raisins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Make filling: With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add sugar and lemon juice; beat until combined. Cover; chill until firm, at least 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, make cookies: In a large bowl, whisk butter, sugars, and egg yolk.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, ginger, and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture; stir until combined. Mix in oats, carrots, and currants.
4. Drop dough by level tablespoonfuls, 2 inches apart, onto prepared baking sheets. Flatten with the palm of your hand.
5. Bake until edges are crisp, rotating baking sheets halfway through, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
6. Turn half the cookies over, bottom-side up; dollop each with about 1 teaspoon chilled cream-cheese filling. Top with remaining cookies, pressing gently to spread filling to edges. Serve immediately.