Our go-to food on long car rides?
Homemade trail mix, affectionately known to some as "GORP" (which stands for good old raisins and peanuts).
It's also a great snack to eat right before you go to the gym: The carbs and protein from all the nuts and dried fruit will definitely keep your energy up for the duration of your workout. I like to add chocolate chips for a touch of decadence.
Just remember (as I often find so difficult to do), trail mix, though addictive, is definitely NOT a low-calorie food. Enjoy in moderation ... if you can!
Homemade Trail Mix
- 1 cup salted, roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup almonds (whole, chopped, or slivered)
- 1/2 cup cashews, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried mangoes (or whatever other dried fruit you have, golden raisins, etc.)
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
Combine ingredients; mix until well-incorporated.
What do you put in your trail mix?