Flickr Photo by ultramegaBasically, you're going to either love or hate this Cinco de Mayo cocktail -- I never met a person who thought in between the two. I think the former ... much to my boyfriend's distaste.
It's called a Michelada. If you're not familiar, it's kinda like a Bloody Mary but with beer and without the tomato juice.
It's spicy, sour, fizzy, and salty all at the same time. I make these all the time to spice up a Corona.
Almost every region in Mexico and Latin America has their own version. See what I put in this unique cocktail ...
Ice Cold Michelada
- 2 tablespoons course salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 1 dash soy sauce
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- Cayenne pepper
- 1 ice cold Mexican beer: Corona, Negra Modela, or Pacifico
- Salt and lime wedge for garnish
1. Mix together salt and chili powder on a small plate. Rim a beer glass with a little lime juice and then dip in chili mixture to cover top of glass.
2. Add lime juice, hot sauce, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and a pinch of cayenne pepper -- more if you like it spicy
3. Slowly pour in beer. Garnish, stir gently, and enjoy!