Flickr photo by yomi955Iced coffee is my jam. I can drink it morning, noon, or night and in the winter too. I hate plain hot coffee ... it needs to be a peppermint mocha or something sweeter than the typical brew.
Try this coffee granita that combines my two loves: Cold coffee and dessert.
See how easy it is to make -- plus, you only need three ingredients (besides water and espresso beans)!
Add to Shopping List
Coffee Granita Recipe adapted from Whole Foods
- 5 cups water
- 9 tablespoons ground espresso beans
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa powder
1. Brew fresh, strong coffee with water and espresso. Transfer hot coffee to cake pan and add sugar, cinnamon, and cocoa. Stir until dissolved.
2. Taste coffee and add more sugar, if you like. Set aside to let cool slightly then freeze, uncovered, 1 hour.
3. Gently rake a fork across surface of coffee, breaking up any ice crystals in middle and around edges. Freeze 45 minutes more, then repeat process with fork.
4. Repeat freezing and raking process 2 more times until coffee is frozen into flaky crystals. Spoon granita into bowls and serve.
I like to serve mine with a little fresh whipped cream.
What's your favorite coffee dessert?