As you can see from this pic of my daughter, I got started with taco conditioning at a very early age. I decided my favorite foods needed to become her favorite foods, even before she was old enough to chow down with mom at the taco stand. Luckily, it worked!
Now, four years old, my daughter loves taco night so much I can use it as a bribe for a full-week prior to the blessed meal. Clearly, I'm pretty stoked about taco night also, and you should be too!
Here's how to pull together the easiest meal (though not the healthiest - reserve for a special treat) you'll make all week.
Fast & Cheap Taco Night
You will need:
- Old El Paso Taco Kit
- Old El Paso Traditional Refried Beans
- Hunk of Cheddar Cheese
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- Sour cream, chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce optional
Follow instructions on Old El Paso Taco Kit (includes browning meat, adding taco seasoning, putting shells in the oven - I usually ditch the liquidy "salsa" that comes with)
Put refried beans in microwave
Put everything on table with spoons and let your family go to town
Organic & Vegetarian Taco Night
You will need:
- Garden of Eatin' Organic Blue Corn Taco Kit (or just shells if you're leaving out organic ground beef)
- Amy's organic refried beans
- Organic, no antibiotic, cheddar cheese
- Organic, no antibiotic, sour cream
- Farm fresh tomatoes
- Organic shredded lettuce (optional)
- If you eat meat, organic ground beef or turkey.
- You can also add fried fish to this recipe to make delicious fish tacos if you're more flexitarian. Cod is a good and inexpensive fish for tacos.
Follow instructions on Taco Kit (includes browning meat if you're using, and cooking taco shells)
Shred the cheese
Cut tomatoes into small cubes to sprinkle on top of taco
Cut avocado into thin slices
Heat refried beans in the microwave
If you're cooking fish, put olive oil in a frying pan and heat on medium until it pops slightly. Cut cod into bite-sized pieces, cover with seasoning mix from box and squeeze one lemon over all pieces of the fish. Fry cod until outside flakes off, approximately 5 minutes.
Put everything on the table and serve!
Do you have taco night at your house?