Photo from Kevin Winter/Getty
I think last night's Academy Awards was one of the most boring and predictable ones I've seen yet.
Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin were awful (as I figured they would be) and I correctly predicted every single big winner of the night.
Though my eyes were glazing over throughout 70% of the ceremony, there were some interesting highlights:
- I think it's safe to say Kathryn Bigelow is the winner of her divorce with James Cameron. Come on, you know they both had to be thinking that. Both directors had movies going head-to-head all night, but Kathryn's movie, The Hurt Locker, picked up the creme de la creme award for Best Picture, beating Cameron's Avatar. Poor James...him and his multi-million dollar production got double burned.
- She also won Best Director...first woman to ever do so, again beating out Cameron, amongst others. And her movie also won for best screenplay. Basically, Cameron got his ass handed to him by his ex-wife (whoohoo!).
- The Cove, which is a documentary about dolphins, won for Best Documentary and it basically made me cry when they showed snippets of it.
- George Clooney looked super pissed every time the camera landed on him. I think his flask ran dry early on in the night.
- I was really pulling for Gabby Sadibe to win Best Actress (though I anticipated Sandra Bullock winning, which she did). I think everyone was actually. Can you imagine being her? This was her first acting gig and she was up for one of the most prestigious awards in the industry, going against Meryl-freakin-Streep. Talk about a lucky break.
- Sandra Bullock made me almost cry (again...gosh I'm hormonal) with her sweet acceptance speech for Best Actress.
- Ben Stiller made my night when he came out dressed as a Na'Vi to present Best Makeup. I can't remember who won that award off the top of my head...making it apparent who stole that part of the show. But seriously, look at the photo...how great is that?!
- They left Farrah Fawcett out of the traditional "in memoriam" segment. Big time FAIL, Academy!
- I'm not sure if Jeff Bridges was drunk, high, or just really really happy when he won the award for Best Actor for his role in Crazy Heart. Maybe all three?
- I did not see Brangelina there (did anyone see them?), which means the divorce rumors will likely start floating again.
Did you watch the Oscars last night? Did you think it was a good show?