Photo by Amy Sussman/Getty
The awards that I won (back in my high school days), as gaudy as they were, were always displayed proudly on my dresser. Now, I can only imagine if I won something as distinguished as an Oscar...that baby would be placed on a shelf smack dab in the middle of my living room!
In fact, I'd probably hoist up neon signs pointing to it just to make sure everyone saw it.
I guess some stars have forgotten the awesomeness it is to receive an award like that, because, well, they don't exactly display them in the most likely of places.
The Frisky has done some snooping and found out where some of the hottest stars house their little golden man.
- Kate Winslet who won the Academy Award for Best Actress in The Reader last year, divulged that hers sits in “the back of the loo,” so curious people can see and hold it without having to ask.
- Russell Crowe (Best Actor in 2001 for Gladiator) may be pulling our leg, but he reportedly keeps his in a chicken coop on his ranch in Australia, saying his hens lay bigger eggs in its presence.
- Emma Thompson (Best Actress in 1993 for Howard's End and Best Adapted Screenplay in 1996 for Sense and Sensibility) stores her two Oscars in the bathroom. “They look far too outré anywhere else. They’re great big, gold, shiny things.”
- The gold man weirds Gwyneth Paltrow (Best Actress in 1999 for Shakespeare in Love) out, so she keeps him “tucked away at the back of the bookshelf in my bedroom.”
- Jodie Foster (Best Actress in 1989 for The Accused and Best Actress in 1992 for The Silence of the Lambs) “used to keep them in the bathroom because they looked good with the faucets.” But when the bottom of the statues started corroding, she moved them to a trophy case in her den.
- Cate Blanchett (Best Supporting Actress in 2005 for The Aviator) moves her Oscar around the house. Right now, he’s hanging out in the study.
- Costume designer Ngila Dickson (Best Costume Design in 2004 for Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King ) keeps hers “halfway up the stairs on a Chinese lacquer sideboard” and says “good morning” and “good night” to him as she passes him.
I did a little more digging on a few of my favorite award winners:
- Rachel Weisz (Best Supporting Actress in 2005 for The Constant Gardener) keeps hers by her bath.
- Anna Paquin (Best Supporting Actress in 1994 for The Piano) once said she stores her Oscar in a closet, “next to my boots.”
- Before he built a screening room with a specially designed shelf unit, Kevin Costner (Best Director and Best Picture in 1991 for Dances with Wolves) kept his Academy Awards in his underwear drawer.
Don't forget, the Academy Awards are this Sunday, March 7th (wow, it's already March?) at 8/5PT on ABC.
Are you going to watch the Academy Awards? If you won an Oscar, where would you display it?