Last night, President Obama had his first State of the Union address. I watched it, and am not really sure what to think. He made an awful lot of plans that I feel will be very difficult to execute.
Here are some of the highlights:
- He spoke a lot on unemployment and his plans on creating new jobs for Americans, urging the Senate to pass a second jobs bill as it's first order of business this year.
- Proposed using the $30 billion repaid by Wall Street banks from the bailout to help community banks lend money to small businesses.
- Proposed new tax credit for small businesses that hire workers and raise wages.
- Wants to double exports over the next five years.
- Proposed a three-year spending freeze on domestic spending (national security, Medicare, Medicaid, and social security not included), beginning in 2011 in an effort to combat the deficit.
- He will issue an executive order creating a bipartisan task force to recommend ways to reduce the deficit.
- Proposed capping student loan repayments at 10-percent of income and forgiving all student loan debt after 20 years, and forgiving after 10 years if that student enters public service. "In America, no one should go into debt because they chose to go to college."
- Reiterated pledge to remove all U.S. combat troops from Iraq by the end of August.
athenax3: I think Obama knows that he's on a timetable here, and he's got to try and inch around enough to get the House and Senate to working or his whole term will be for nought. He's taken on more than I can recall any president doing and I don't expect it will all pan out, but it's refreshing to see someone who is willing to say "Let's look at this."
Plus, though my liberal bones are cringing to type it, I share some views with the right, lol. I think we all do, it's very rare to be entirely only one-partied- most of us have issues or points with which we can agree with the "opposition" and even if I don't agree, I oftentimes can see the validity of their arguments.
SusanD: I personally loved how he droned on and on and at every opportunity he made sure to mention that he came into this situation with such a negative situation already existing, how you can't expect change to be easy, and how he never promised that it would happen without help, oh and the finger pointing...I particularly loved the finger pointing. I was not impressed to say the least.
Did you watch the State of the Union address? What are your thoughts on Obama's plans?