The iPad/Photo from Apple
Apple basically caused the entire internet to collapse when they made their highly anticipated announcement about their newest product: the iPad.
As much hype as this gizmo has gotten, I wasn't expecting anything less than a supercomputer made from the particles of a unicorn horn. So when Apple CEO Steve Jobs finished his little presentation, I was left feeling less than satisfied.
- It's only a half inch thick and weights 1.5lbs. Fragile, much?
- 9.7" IPS display
- 10 hours of battery life
- Full capacitive multitouch
- Available in 16GB ($499), 32GB ($599), or 64GB ($699)
- These babies will ship out in 60 days, 3G models in 90 days.
- iTunes store built right in.
- Can watch videos and movies in HD.
- The email display looks very organized and slick. A message list in a column on the left, full message on the right. Just hit "compose" to write a message and a keyboard pops up. And it ain't tiny like the iPhone's.
- Zooming in Maps is super fast. And there's street view. Sweet.
- Can run all iPhone apps full screen
- Ebook reader app called iBooks. It has a bookshelf and a button which has access to the new iBook store. You can download right onto your iPad. Nearly all of the major publishing companies are on board.
- iWork is a suite of apps to help you create documents, spreadsheets, and presentations, set at $9.99 each.
- WiFi, some models have 3G
- Unlimited wireless data plan for $29.99/month with AT&T with no contract.
I didn't hear anything about a camera (what happened to those videoconferencing rumors?) or multitasking.
It is a nice medium between the smartphone and the laptop, but I feel most people need both of those items and their full capabilities (some of which the iPad lacks) anyways, so why would they be appealed to buy this? I'm certainly not.
Not to mention the name...horrible. It makes me think of feminine hygiene products.
What are your thoughts on the iPad? Do you think it will live up to the hype?