Photo from Apple, the iPhone
**Live update! Apple just unveiled it's newest product, the iPad. **
"So all of us use laptops and smartphones... the question has arisen; is there room for something in the middle. We've wondered for years as well -- in order to create that category, they have to be far better at doing some key tasks... better than the laptop, better than the smartphone," says Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple, at their big announcement this afternoon. "We think we've got something that is better. And we call it the iPad."
Here are some details that are being revealed:
- It's only a half inch thick
- Weighs 1.5lbs
- 9.7" IPS display
- 10 hours of battery life
- Full capacitive multitouch
- 1GHz Apple A4 chip
- Available in 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB
- Pricing begins at $499
- Shipping in 60 days, 3G models in 90 days.
- Slide it to unlock the screen, like an iPhone. Bookmarks drop down from a bunch of contextual menus up top.
- iTunes store built right in. YouTube, and YouTube in HD
- The email display looks very organized and slick. A message list in a column on the left, full message on the right. Just hit "compose" to write a message and a keyboard pops up. And it ain't tiny like the iPhone's.
- Drop-down menus.
- Zooming in Maps is super fast. And there's street view. Sweet.
- Awesome for watching movies, TV, and videos.
- Can run all iPhone apps full screen.
- Ebook reader called iBooks. An app has a bookshelf and a button which has access to the new iBook store. You can download right onto your iPad. Nearly all of the major publishing companies are on board.
- iWork is a suite of apps to help you create documents, spreadsheets, and presentations, set at $9.99 each.
- WiFi, some models have 3G
- Unlimited wireless data plan for $29.99/month with AT&T with no contract.
The company has been very hush hush about this product that is supposed to be "revolutionary." Though no information has been officially released, this is what I've heard so far:
- Price range from $799-$999
- 7-10" screen
- Multi-touch display
- Resembling a giant iPhone
- Rumored reveal date is sometime around January 26, 2010, available to the public sometime in March.
- One version will have a webcam for videoconferencing, and at least one other version will feature a 3G modem for internet connectivity, much like the iPhone.
- Mix between the iPhone and an e-book reader.
Have you heard of this new product? What do you think of it? Would you want one?