Photo from Amazon
Happy Veteran's Day! First off, a big thank you to all the men and women that have served/are serving our country. You are true heroes.
In honor of these brave soldiers, here's a list of the top ten best military movies of all-time, according to Army Times:
- Full Metal Jacket (1987): The first half of the film shows Marine recruits at boot camp, preparing for Vietnam, while the second half deals with the violence and uncertainty of that war.
- Patton (1970): Tells the story of Gen. George S. Patton Jr., a loud, irascible man whose hatred of the enemy was overshadowed only by his own ambition.
- Black Hawk Down (2001): From start to finish, the gritty retelling of the Battle of Mogadishu during operations in Somalia in October 1993 reminds viewers that things can go tragically wrong on the battlefield in an instant.
- Glory (1989): An account of racial prejudice during the Civil War, “Glory” tells the true story of the Army’s first all-black regiment.
- The Caine Mutiny (1954): This movie tells the fictional story of a wacko Navy captain relieved of command by his crew during World War II, and of the subsequent trial of the mutineers.
- Letters from Iwo Jima (2006): The story of the American assault on the tiny Japanese island during World War II, shows the battle from the viewpoint of the Japanese defenders.
- Top Gun (1986): The story of military pilots honing their dog-fighting skills at the Navy Fighter Weapons School.
- The Great Escape (1963): Based on real events, the most notorious escape artists of the Nazi prison system are placed in the Alcatraz of POW camps, where they promptly make plans to tunnel their way to freedom.
- The Dirty Dozen (1967): The story of 12 military prisoners, all serving life sentences or awaiting execution, who are offered a chance to trade their punishments for a suicide mission aimed at disrupting the German chain of command before the D-Day invasion.
- A Bridge Too Far (1977): About the Operation Market Garden, the Allies’ botched attempt to break through the Nazi lines in the Netherlands during World War II.
Have you seen any of these movies? What's your favorite military movie? Does it make the list?