Standing just 5'2", Ruby Dee was small but mighty. Her strength came bursting through in many ways - either while rallying behind a cause close to her heart or through steely characters on screen, some of which were beside her late, great husband Ossie Davis. Sadly, the actress and activist died on Wednesday, June 12 at her home in New Rochelle, New York. Her passing is a great loss to Hollywood and humanity. But she leaves behind an amazing legacy and words of wisdom that have the ability to inspire us all.
Take a look at her most profound quotes.
- “The kind of beauty I want most is the hard-to-get kind that comes from within - strength, courage, dignity.”
- “The greatest gift is not being afraid to question.”
- “That's what being young is all about. You have the courage and the daring to think that you can make a difference. You're not prone to measure your energies in time. You're not likely to live by equations.”
- “It takes a long time to really be married. One marries many times at many levels within that marriage. If you have more marriages than you have divorces within the marriage, you’re lucky and you stick it out.”
- “Paradise is to be the ultimate instrument, fulfilling God's desperate intent that we love each other.”
- "God, make me so uncomfortable that I will do the very thing I fear."
- "There was so much meanness in the atmosphere, ... but marvelous things pierce through the darkness of poverty and racism. You meet all kinds of people that help put life in perspective and turn the horror into some kind of lesson or avenue of awakening that lives with you all your days."
- "Don't do me any favors."
Image via Brock Miller / Splash News