Sooooooo anything happen on the Internet yesterday? Oh, right, right. Solange Knowles tried to beat the crap out of Jay Z in an elevator at the Met Gala! While Beyonce stood there and watched! And they were all three dressed to the nines! The only thing that would have made it any more surreal is if Anna Wintour got stuck in the elevator with them. Anyway, no one knows (YET) what caused Solange, Bey's little sis, to go ape on Jay. But there are some theories!
1. Solange was NOT enjoying the Met Gala. Rumor has it that before she got into an elevator with Jay, Solange was in a cranky mood that night, yelling at a group of people, including her pal designer (and Damon Dash ex) Rachel Roy. Bey apparently had to break it up.
2. Solange has anger issues. Sources tell US Weekly that this isn't the first time Solange has locked in mortal combat with someone, and that she has a history of letting the fists fly. "Solange has flipped her lid like that before ... She can take a small thing and it triggers her," the source says. Indeed, both Jay Z and Bey looked quite nonplussed at her antics.
3. Solange was defending her sister. By far the most popular theory going round the 'net is that Solange was defending Beyonce from something Hova did -- such as beating Bey or cheating on her. Don't think I buy this. The elevator at the Met Gala afterparty would be a strange time to get into something like that. But a source does tell HollywoodLife.com that Solange doesn't like the way Jay "controls" Bey and couldn't take it anymore and "flipped out." Another report says that Bey and Jay often argue, and that once Jay Z caught Bey texting another man and "called her every name in the book." The fact that Bey leaves in a car with her sister and not her husband have many speculating that she was Team Solange.
4. Jay Z farted. One of the funnier theories -- which could make it the most true! -- is that Jay Z farted when he got into the elevator and this caused Solange to go berserk. Hey, wouldn't you? The theory comes compliments of a reader on TMZ who says her husband, who is in security, knows people in security at the Standard Hotel, where the incident happened. And this is what they came up with by studying everyone's body language in the elevator. I hope their security jobs do not entail detective work too, because this is a pretty far(t)-fetched theory. Even if comedian John Caparulo does agree this is what happened (sorry, Jay had eggs!)
5. Solange has bipolar disorder/mental health problems. One theory is that Solange is struggling with mental illness. Solange did cancel a tour last year for her "mental/physical health," but she makes it sound in her statement like she's referring to being too busy. It's a far cry from canceling tour dates to having bipolar disorder, and there's no evidence she ever had this or does have this. Unless you count going Kung Fu fighter on Jay as "evidence." She also has spoken about being diagnosed with ADHD, but that doesn't make you attack your family members.
6. Jealousy. Many are theorizing that Solange, whose career has been lackluster compared to sister Beyonce's, just couldn't take it anymore and unleashed on Jay. She once told the Daily Mail: "People think there should be this great rivalry between us, but there's never been any competition." Nonetheless, sources say that Solange has become enraged that Jay Z hasn't come through on his promises to help her career. Also, there could be something brewing between Bey and Solange -- after the fight, Bey posted a prayer on Instagram, which said, in part, "Give me discernment and strength to separate myself from anyone who isn't a good influence," and Solange deleted every pic of her sister from Instagram except one.
Let's face it, every family has their moments. The famous are no different. It comes as a shock to us average shmucks when we realize you can dress 'em up, put 'em in mansions, and give them yachts and Lamborghinis and fancy parties with other celebs, but they're still us. Whatever happened, like most families, this will probably blow over.
I guess we will all have to wait for TMZ to get the audio.
Image via Pedro Andrade / Gaz Shirley, PacificCoastNews.com