We are used to seeing Beyonce on the covers of magazines -- mostly fashion and music magazines though. Here she is gracing the cover of Time, making The 100 Most Influential People list. Well deserved.
Beyonce is many things. A woman. A mother. An icon. A singer. And an inspiration. Even if you aren't a fan of her music, Beyonce is one of those entertainers who delivers a message far beyond a thumping beat with a sexual bump and grind. Though I love that she does that, too. She is a presence, a force. With her soft voice, she speaks messages that must be heard, that resonate.
Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook's COO, worked with Bey for the Ban Bossy Project, which gave us the powerful "I'm not bossy. I'm the boss" quote from the superstar. Sandberg also interviewed Beyonce for Time magazine where she mentions one of the lyrics in the song "Flawless." It's a quote from the young and also inspiring novelist Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: "We say to girls, 'You can have ambition, but not too much.'"
Society says a lot to girls -- to women. But it's women like Adichie, Sandberg, and Beyonce who say things that inspire, enlighten, make not only the women of the world think, but men, too. Who run the world? Girls.
There are the messages within Beyonce's songs. Some have ended up as memes, but if we stop and let the words resonate, the meaning behind these phrases and sentences can really teach us something, remind us, and celebrate all that we are.
7 Things Beyonce Has Taught Us Through Her Lyrics
1. That we are sensitive and that's okay. And she sends a message to men to tune in to their sensitive side as well. If I were a boy, I think I could understand how it feels to love a girl. I swear I’d be a better man. I’d listen to her. From "If I Were a Boy"
2. That when you love someone, you should express it. 'Cause if you liked it, then you should have put a ring on it. From "Single Ladies"
3. That we are strong and smart. How we're smart enough to make these millions. Strong enough to bear the children. From "Run the World (Girls)"
4. That we are powerful. Our words have weight. Love is meaningful. My persuasion can build a nation. Endless power. With our love we can devour. From "Run the World (Girls)"
5. We are more than our labels -- more than Mom, more than Wife. I took some time to live my life. But don't think I'm just his little wife. From "Flawless"
6. That we should love ourselves exactly as we are. We flawless, ladies tell 'em. Say I look so good tonight ... Momma taught me good home training. My Daddy taught me how to love my haters. My sister told me I should speak my mind. From "Flawless"
7. That "perfect" looks different on everybody -- and we should be more accepting of others and ourselves. Pretty hurts, we shine the light on whatever's worst. Perfection is a disease of a nation, pretty hurts. We try to fix something but you can't fix what you can't see. It's the soul that needs the surgery. From "Pretty Hurts"
And if you need more inspiration, just watch Beyonce's video for "Run the World (Girls)."
What do you think of Beyonce being named one of Time's most influential?
Image via Time