The Academy Awards might have played it safe by inviting Ellen DeGeneres back to host the show this year, but after Seth MacFarlane managed to offend just about everyone in 2013, who can blame them? By reputation alone, Ellen promised us an Oscars show that would be hilarious but a tad bit more wholesome than the previous year, and she delivered exactly that ... along with three pizzas to the biggest stars in the first few rows of the crowd.
DeGeneres made her mark with a series of stunts -- from the pizza she had delivered to the star-packed selfie she tweeted in a bid to get the most retweets ever, but she had a fair share of regular old jokes in there too. Here are some of the best ... and the absolute worst.
1. I’m not saying movies are the most important thing in the world because we all know the most important thing in the world is youth. But really, we know that the most important thing in life is love and friendship and family. And if people don’t have those things, they usually get into show business. We are all one big frightened family.
More From The Stir: Jennifer Lawrence's Epic Oscars Moment Was a Real Downer (VIDEO)
2. Regarding the Oscars themselves: Who are we kidding, it's The Hunger Games. There's cameras everywhere, you're starving, and Jennifer Lawrence won last year.
3. To Jonah Hill (referencing his prosthetic penis in Wolf of Wall Street): I honestly have to say, you showed us something in that film that I haven't seen for a very long time. Get it?
4. Possibility #1: 12 Years a Slave wins best picture. Possibility #2: You're all racists. And now, welcome our first white presenter, Anne Hathaway.
5. To Jennifer Lawrence about her infamous fall: If you win tonight, I think we should bring you the Oscar.
And how about the worst joke of the night? Ellen got that one too ... directed at Judy Garland's daughter, who was in the crowd with her siblings for a tribute to their mom and The Wizard of Oz (sung by P!nk in one of the night's most stunning dresses):
I have to say one of the most amazing Liza Minnelli impersonators is here tonight. Good job, sir.
At most it got a few groans, and Liza did NOT look too pleased. Ellen didn't get much love for the joke on Twitter either, where otherwise she seemed to be garnering a lot of favor for her second turn as Oscars host.
What did you think of Ellen's hosting?
Image via Kevin Winter/Getty Images