Philip Seymour Hoffman's Autopsy Report Is In & We Know For Sure What Killed Him

It’s official. According to the New York medical examiner, Philip Seymour Hoffman died from an accidental drug overdose. Actually they’re calling it “acute mixed drug intoxication,” but it’s hard to care when we’re all just so sad over this situation.

The 46-year-old Oscar winner was found dead nearly four weeks ago in his New York apartment with a hypodermic needle in his arm. The actor had struggled with drug addiction in his 20s. After 23 years of sobriety, he reportedly fell back into it in 2012, and did a rehab stint in 2013.

According to the report, Hoffman’s body contained traces of heroin, cocaine, benzodiazepines (an anti-anxiety medication), and amphetamine. His death has been ruled an accident.

More from The Stir: Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death Scares the Addict in Me to the Core

Hoffman is survived by his estranged longtime partner Mimi O’Donnell and their three children.

His death was shocking in that it’s hard to imagine someone falling off the wagon after more than two decades of sobriety, but it’s a harsh reminder of the power of addiction. Once you get into that stuff, it seems to haunt you forever.

If an uber-successful actor with a family including three gorgeous kiddos he adored and more money than most of us would know what to do with could be lured back into using, then it can happen to anyone.

Have you ever known anyone that struggled with addiction or struggled with it yourself?

 

Image via Chris/Flickr

celebrity death, in the news, drugs

5 Comments

To add a comment, please log in with

Use Your CafeMom Profile

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Comment As a Guest

Guest comments are moderated and will not appear immediately.

youth... youthfulsoul

My husband is an addict. Although he cleaned up his act before I met him. Been clean 10 yrs. but you never know. I suppose a relapse is always a possibility.

Kelly Walters

My dad's  22 year old step Granddaughter (she was dumped at her Grandmothers when she was just 8 years old) just died from an overdose.  She was absolutely beautiful and a complete mess.  He pulled her from the bathtub and that's something that he has to live with.  Don't know yet whether she passed out and drowned or died from the overdose itself.

nonmember avatar kimmey

I beg of you. I am begging with all the energy I can summon, please get rid of these idiot writers! They do such an injustice to every subject they tackle. It is sickening. PLEASE, editors and publishing principals, GET RID OF THESE SUBMENTAL WRITERS; THEY ARE A MENACE AND A PUBLIC DISGRACE.

Rita Curry

Yes, I have a beautiful, and I mean drop dead, beautiful, that is in a sober living home in, Austin Texas, today. They have very bad, tendencies, to lie cheat and steal everything they can get their hands on. This is her, third time, and it better work or she will die. I love her, but will not love her to death. I still have a hard time understanding how anyone can ruin their life with that, SHIT! She has lost everything important, to her and still it doesn't stop them. STUPID!

missy... missybest

Accidental overdose?  Really?  Accidental would be if someone took an Ibuprofen and didn't know it was laced with poison!  That would be accidental overdose.  I don't know how people get into drugs in the first place, knowing how horrible they are, but they do.  I definitely call it suicide.  No one who wants to live takes drugs, much less mixes all kinds of drugs.  Call it what it is - suicide.  Maybe it just happened a bit faster than the suicidal individual intended.

1-5 of 5 comments