Have Katy Perry and John Mayer broken up?! E! News, which is generally pretty reliable, is reporting that a source close to the couple (Katy? John?) says they are dunzo. And apparently it only happened in the past few days. No word on who dumped whom or why. On the one hand, this rumor isn't entirely surprising. On the other, it's like, Whaaaat??? Here's some analysis!
Why it's not surprising:
- Katy and John broke up twice before, last summer. But then they got back together each time. Katy told Elle UK about the breaks:
[John] pulled away. That was a big hello for me. I realized I could lose the person I loved and I had to deal with some things, issues I think a lot of women have ... You can be strong in one aspect of your life but submissive in another. In relationships, it was hard for me to speak up and set boundaries. I think a lot of that was to do with the fear of loss.
- He's John Mayer. He definitely has the pattern of a commitmentphobe and has already broken up with the likes of Jennifer Aniston, Jessica Simpson, and Jennifer Love Hewitt. Anyone who read his infamous Rolling Stone interview, where he called Jessica "sexual napalm," knows the dude has some issues.
- Katy and John haven't addressed the rumors on Twitter -- Katy is normally pretty casual about reaching out to John via the social media network.
Why it's surprising:
- The couple were just photographed last week together in London. Katy was wearing a huge ring that sparked engagement rumors.
- In November, a source told E! News that an engagement was "inevitable."
- The two have stayed together longer than Mayer has with most of his exes.
If they are broken up, I think we know whose fault it was! John just doesn't seem the commitment type, and maybe since everyone was expecting the next step to happen (including Katy?), he felt pressured and pulled away again. Which maybe then forced Katy to pull the plug.
On the other hand, this could be a load of tosh and they're totally together. For now.
Interestingly, this comes just when Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux are supposedly on the rocks. Wouldn't it be something if John and Jen got back together?? (Don't do it, Jen!)
Given that Robin Thicke and Paula Patton have also just broken up, this could be some strange lunar cycle thing and everyone is back together next week.
Do you think they're kaput?
Image via Lester Cohen/Getty