Jamie Dornan & Dakota Johnson's '50 Shades' Confessions Are Blush-Worthy
by Maressa Brown
November 15, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Even though Fifty Shades of Grey fans will now have to wait until February 14, 2015 for their on-screen fix, it seems like Universal and Focus are dead-set on making sure our appetites remain whetted! After all, why else would we already have "character portraits" of Dakota and Jamie as Ana and Christian in the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly? Or interviews, in which the actors reveal more about the movie than we've heard YET?!
Here, eight of juiciest highlights from the EW exclusive that have us on the edge of our seats ...
- On Jamie's initial attempt to score the part: He had sent in an audition tape for the first round of casting, but wasn't called to screen-test. But obviously, that wasn't the end of his journey with this project. “You know, one door closes, another opens. When [Charlie] dropped out, I didn’t instantly think, ‘Oh here we go, maybe I should cancel that holiday,’ but I did feel that maybe we’d revisit the idea of me.”
- On the big audition: Jamie and Dakota re-enacted the initial interview scene when Ana first meets Christian at his spacious office in Seattle, followed by the climactic scene near the end of the book, according to EW. “There’s quite a lot going on in both scenes,” Dornan says. “The interview scene is sort of a condensed version of the journey that the two of them go on. There are so many layers in it. It’s a beast."
- How Jamie found out he got the part: The 31-year-old actor says that after having flown back from L.A. -- where he auditioned for the role of Christian Grey -- he was watching reruns of Storage Wars at 1:30 a.m. London time. He was also praying for the phone to ring. “I was sort of pretending I wasn’t waiting, but the phone was in my hand, halfway to my ear," he admits. The film’s director, Sam Taylor-Johnson, called to deliver the exhilarating news. “There was a slight fear. But beyond anything else, I was really f—ing excited.”
- How Jamie really feels about the graphic sex scenes: "I’m a fairly worldly guy. I grew up in a very liberal place. I’m not saying we had a playroom, but I’m not shocked by [the sex in the book]. It’s essential to tell the story. I can’t believe films that don’t invoke the sexual side of it. So it works for me.”
- How Dakota really feels about the graphic sex scenes: "I'm not afraid of this story. I understand this girl, and I get it."
- How Jamie feels about the pressure of meeting fan expectations: "A lot of people care about this book, and I'm not under any illusion that they don't. All I can say is I'm going to do everything in my power to portray Christian Grey as truthfully as possible. I can't guarantee that's going to please everyone -- just me being cast doesn't please everyone -- but it's happened, and I'm going to give it everything." He also says of taking on the role in general, "I certainly don’t fear it. I already got a glimpse into working with [director] Sam [Taylor-Johnson] at the test, and I’d met [co-star] Dakota [Johnson] by then. So I had a glimpse into how I felt it would be if I got the part. None of it scared me.”
- How Dakota feels about stripping down: "Obviously, I want to look good naked. I totally understand now why people exercise, because it kind of f—ing feels awesome.”
- How Jamie plans to prepare to strip down: "I’ve never felt that Christian needs to be some kind of monster, but I think it’s very clear how he conditions himself and looks after himself. I take decent enough care of myself anyway, so obviously I’m gonna up it slightly with training, but we don’t have any intention to really bulk up. I don’t think it’s appropriate."
Of Jamie and Dakota's confessions, which are you most surprised by?
Image via EW
Click the "Like" button below if you're a fan of Fifty Shades of Grey!