It can't be easy for any of the Glee cast members to think about shooting season 5 after the tragic news of Cory Monteith's death on July 13. Now that they've lost a close friend, the scripts have to be rewritten to accommodate the loss of one of Glee's biggest influences and most-loved characters. Soon after Monteith's death, FOX announced that the third episode of season 5, which is now scheduled to premiere one week later than planned on September 26, will be a tribute to Cory.
It's been heartbreaking coming to terms with the fact that Monteith is really gone. It's going to be really, really difficult when the time comes for us to see his character go, too. For now, let's talk about the 5 things we know about Glee's Cory Monteith tribute episode, so far:
1. Cory's character Finn Hudson will be dying: According to the show's creator Ryan Murphy, Finn's passing is the "right thing to do for the show."
2. They want Finn's death to happen in “present” time (Glee time, obviously): Murphy wants the characters to have to deal with it immediately on the show. His goal? "What we've been talking about in the writer's room is that maybe the way we deal with this tragedy might save the life of someone." Crushing words, but an optimistic approach.
3. There will be tribute songs (most likely): There are way too many classic Glee songs Cory Monteith left his mark on, and there's no doubting that a few of them will make their way into the tribute episode. My top pick? Personally, I would tear up if Lea Michele sang "Faithfully" by Journey.
4. There may a separate component or episode where the actors have sit-down interviews, talking about their favorite Cory memories: This is something I would love. As much as I understand the need to progress with the story line of the show and explain what happened to Finn, what I really want to see and hear are his best friends' reactions. You know, from the actors and NOT the characters they play.
5. There will be a hiatus: Ryan Murphy told Deadline that after the tribute episode, Glee will go on a long hiatus. "I don't know exactly when we will come back, but we are trying our best with this attempt at damage control."
What do you want to see in the Cory Monteith tribute episode?
Image via FOX
I create a special savings account
I put a little away at a time
I cut corners until I can afford it
Save? Who has money to save?
I plan to put it on my credit card and love the benefits of the reward program