It hasn't even been a week since the season 3 finale of Game of Thrones, yet fans are still pretty desperate to figure out what's going to happen in season 4. Of course, they could pick up the book, A Storm of Swords, and read it, but seeing as it's super-long, sometimes it's easier to just click on to Wikipedia. Still, what's the fun in that? Wouldn't you have hated it if you had spoiled the Red Wedding for yourself before you had read the book or watched the show by reading a couple of summary sentences on a website?
Well, for those with the patience (and amazing self-control) to wait it out, after the not-so-final finale last Sunday, there were a lot of questions on fans' minds. As a reader of A Storm of Swords, I'm not about to answer them all (not quite yet, plus I cannot read HBO producers' minds), but here's a sort of teaser on what you will get answers to. There are spoilers ahead. Fair warning!
This is the best, most vague answers I can give from reading the books without giving too much away. A post with far more detailed spoilers is soon to come!
- Will Tyrion get his just due? Yes and no.
- Will Tyrion be betrayed by Shae and/or Sansa? Yes.
- Will we see Ygritte again? Yes.
- Will Ygritte ever forgive Jon Snow? No.
- Are we going to see Jon's direwolf, Ghost, again? Let's hope so!
- Will we see Mance Rayder, King Beyond the Wall, again? Yes.
- Was Melisandre right to change Stannis's focus to beyond the Wall? Yes.
- Will Margaery and Lady Olenna scheme against Joffrey? Yes.
- Will we see Catelyn Stark again? Possibly ...
- Will Tyrion finally give Tywin what's coming to him? Yes.
- Will any of the surviving Starks see a victory in season 4? Not really.
- Will there be a death in season 4 that we're actually going to be really happy about? You bet.
- Will there be a death in season 4 that will be heartbreaking? Yes, but not as bad as the Red Wedding.
- Will we see Jaime sword fight with his other hand? He'll certainly try.
- Do Arya and the Hound stay together forever? No.
- Will there be any weddings in season 4? Yes.
- How about babies? Not telling.
- Will there be any breakups? Yes.
- Will there be a big battle? Yes.
- Will Daenerys do it with hottie Daario? Sources say they have sexy times in their future.
- Will Daenerys and Jorah get it on? No. Duh.
- Will there be a lot more appearances by the dragons? Probably a couple, but Dany does not get a huge climactic moment like she did in "And Now His Watch Is Ended" in the second half of the book.
- Will Jaime leave Cersei for Brienne? I wish.
- Will any of the main characters be betrayed by someone they trust? Yes. Quite a few of 'em.
- Will anyone be thrown from a great height like Bran in season 1? Yes.
- Does it ever get any better for Sansa? Kind of, but not really. This is Game of Thrones, is there such a thing as a happy ending?
- Will we see Petyr Baelish again up to his old ways? Oh but of course!
- Will we see Reek again? Will his sister save him? Theon's storyline goes beyond A Storm of Swords a bit, and Theon's sister didn't try to save him in the books. But Reek does show up with Ramsay eventually!
- Will we see Rickon, Osha, and Shaggydog again? Probably not in season 4.
- Will there be any scenes will shock us as much as the Red Wedding? Yes. Hell yes.
What are you most looking forward to seeing in the fourth season of Game of Thrones?
Image via HBO