The other day I sat down to watch Hitchcock (yeah, I'm a mom, I don't get around to these things until the DVD release) and actually snorted when the famous director was seen on screen arguing for the right to show a toilet flushing in his famous film, Psycho. America, can you believe that we were once that uptight? Considering the hub bub over American companies finally showing gay couples in TV commercials, I suppose we shouldn't be shocked.
But here it is: progress. Finally! Our television screens are playing host to an increasing number of commercials celebrating the fact that LGBT folks are just like the rest of us.
Let's dive in, shall we?
1. Amazon -- The Kindle Paperwhite ad has been getting a lot of attention this month, but I admit I like it most because I had to replay the commercial to make sure I saw what I really saw. Yes, there are two guys and they're married, but they're presented so matter-of-factly that you'd blink and miss it. Which is exactly how it should be; gay couples don't need a big fuss, they just want to be accepted!
2. Microsoft -- Marriage equality got a big thumbs up from the tech company this month. They slipped a wedding between two ladies in love into the middle of a commercial for the Outlook email program:
3. Expedia -- LGBT folks have gotten a lot of positive vibes from the tech community. The Internet travel company weighed in last fall by following a father to his daughter's wedding ... with another woman.
4. Google -- The Internet search engine turned an ad for its services into an entire It Gets Better project:
5. Chemistry.com -- OK, it's a few years old, but when a dating site does a national advertising campaign pointing out that we're born that way, it tends to stick with you ...
Kinda gives you the warm and fuzzies, doesn't it? Let's spread the love around!
Which gay-friendly ad is your favorite?
Image via MSFTOutlook/YouTube