By now you've heard of the latest celebrity marriage to bite the dust. Real Housewives of New York alum Bethenny Frankel and husband Jason Hoppy are reportedly divorcing after nearly three years of marriage. Though, more surprising than the split are claims that the couple is still living together despite being separated. Yes, it's a crazy notion to most people. How do you stomach still living with the man you hate enough to divorce? It's not as crazy as it sounds. I actually get it. Read this and you will too. Here are five great reasons for continuing to live with your ex:
- You don't want to lose your best friend. Just because you don't want to be married to him any longer doesn't mean you don't still like or even love him. If he is your closest confidante, it's hard to give up that bond. It may take time for you to let him go completely and that's okay.
- Bills, bills, bills. It's hard enough to keep one household afloat, but two is nearly impossible in these tough economic times. It takes two incomes to pay most mortgages, so it makes good financial sense in a lot of cases.
- The kids still need you both. It's no secret that divorce is hardest on small children. They are used to mommy and daddy being together and they don't want that to change. It makes sense to delay physically moving out until you feel that your kids are ready for it.
- You are not sure it's really over. There is no shame in being unsure. Even after you've told your friends you are breaking up and called a divorce lawyer, it's ok to have second thoughts. This could be a very, very rough patch you want to try and work through.
- You can both get used to seeing the other move on. It's hard seeing an ex be happy with someone else. While it may be awkward at first to watch him get ready for a date, at least it's not some big secret. In a way, this can help ease you into that new reality of him looking for a new love and vice versa.
Of course, there are just as many pitfalls to staying under the same roof. Anger, jealousy, and resentment will undoubtedly bubble to the surface too. But for those couples who choose this route, it could be a way to slowly and amicably close the chapter on what once was a very significant part of your life.
Do you think it's ever a good idea to continue living with your ex?
Image via Splash