There have been years when I really thought the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences -- aka the Oscars folks -- made some completely crazy choices as far as which flicks to honor. (I mean, Crash over Brokeback Mountain? You have to be kidding me!) But this go-round, they seem to really have gone and lost their damn minds! At least in regards to who they're bringing on board to host the 85th Annual Academy Awards on February 24: Seth MacFarlane. Yes, as in the creator of the vulgar, at times totally offensive show Family Guy and this summer's gross-out comedy Ted, which starred a trash-talking teddy bear. That Seth MacFarlane ... hosting ... the Oscars.
Hoo boy! Well, I'm sure MacFarlane as host will make for a few out of the ordinary Oscar moments. Here, a few reasons why he may actually be quite the memorable master of ceremonies ...
- He won't shy away from roasting his peers ... or superiors. MacFarlane definitely doesn't have any qualms putting Hollywood elite in their place with snarky-as-hell humor. Seems like the Academy wants him to be the check and balance for self-importance that tends to pervade these kinds of awards hows. He only hopes, as he noted in a press release today, "they don't find out I hosted the Charlie Sheen roast!" Well, actually, one of the reasons they probably hired him for the gig was because they did see that roast!
- He could put on a mean (literally!) song & dance act. Billy Crystal who? MacFarlane's got musical skills he's sure to showcase on Oscar Night.
- He considers himself an equal opportunity offender. No one is safe from his biting words! Hopefully if he cracks any racially and/or religiously sensitive jokes on Oscar Night, he keeps the same vow he took with Ted -- to make fun of every race, creed, religion. Because no one should be singled out.
- He won't be afraid to make fun of the institution. I admit, sometimes, the Academy seems to take themselves way too seriously. Not a bad thing to have a host who is willing to and already has poked fun at the show itself.
- He'll certainly be more of a loose cannon than "safe" bets of years past. Anne Hathaway and James Franco? Ellen? Billy Crystal, Billy Crystal, Billy Crystal? Booooring! Old! Too obvious! Seth MacFarlane? Hip and young! Love or hate his brand of comedy, let's hope he really does "make the show entertaining and fresh," as the Oscar peeps are saying.
Check out this vid MacFarlane made with his pops. Pretty damn funny (and thankfully not at all gross)! If this is a taste of what we have to look forward to, I'm all for it ...
How do you feel about Seth MacFarlane hosting the Oscars? Will you watch?
Image via Oscars/YouTube