Last night, Perez Hilton gleefully reported that Chelsea Handler would be publishing her very own Fifty Shades of Grey parody. OMG! Well, I'm sure that would be totally wild, crazy, and downright hilaaarious, but it seems like he may have been putting the cart before the horse a bit. Or getting his hopes up a bit too high. Sounds more to me like it's not going to be so much a spoof as her title, 50 Shades of Chartreuse: This Time It's Personal, riffs off of E.L. James' hit series. As far as content goes ... Handler and Grand Central Publishing aren't saying that much right now, but I'm betting the book will be more along the lines of her other comedic tomes. Plus, it's not due out for more than a year. We're lookin' at an October 2013 pub date, people!
That said, here are five actual Fifty Shades of Grey book parodies available now for the sole purpose of cracking the whip us up!
1. Fifty Shades of Earl Grey by Fanny Merkin (aka Andrew Shaffer) - In his goofy spoof, comedic writer Andrew Shaffer reportedly "captures the rhythms of the original but exaggerates E.L. James' literary ticks to great effect." And his heroine, Anna Steal, could care less about Jane Austen ... Her most loved entertainment is Snooki and Jersey Shore!
2. Fifty Shades of Chicken by F.L. Fowler - This tongue-in-cheek cookbook, due out in November, offers "fifty chicken recipes, each more seductive than the last, will make every dinner a turn-on." HA! Sign me up.
3. Fifty Shades of Beige by Reid Mockery - In this $2.99 e-book, Annis Thesia falls for Bobby Beige, Pittsburgh's most eligible billionaire, and we get to spend 109 pages in "the wild world of kinky sex with two total idiots!" Amazon reviewers say it's laugh-out-loud funny.
4. Fifty Shades of Louisa May: A Memoir of Transcendental Sex by Louisa May Anonymous - OR Books is behind the upcoming "hilarious little book" that's being billed as a "literotica" that reveals the private desires of the Little Women author. Ooooh, this is sure to have English teachers everywhere blushing and/or scowling!
5. Fifty Shades of Red, White & Blue - Single mom of two from Northern Ireland, Leesa Harker, penned this parody which features a lead character named Maggie Muff. Wow.
Do you think you'd check out Chelsea Handler's book or any of these parodies?
Image via David Shankbone/Flickr