Sure, reactions to 82-year-old Clint Eastwood's speech at the Republican National Convention were mixed, but both conservatives AND liberals tuned in to see Dirty Harry's "invisible Obama" bit -- quite an accomplishment (even if more Americans total did end up watching Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo than the RNC). Still, the celebrity surprise guest gauntlet has been thrown: Who will be the Democratic National Convention's answer to Clint Eastwood? Well, with any luck ...
Betty White!! There's a huge social media campaign a-brewing to bring White to the DNC, and why wouldn't there be? It's virtually impossible NOT to love the 90-year-old actress; plus, thanks to her most recent White-hot (haha) career wins (from the Snickers Super Bowl commercial to SNL and more), she's got a fan base so varied in age some of them are too young to even remember The Golden Girls. Plus, Betty and Barack go waaaay back.
Not to mention the fact that White's exceptional wisdom and wit will do the Democratic party proud. Here are 10 smart and sassy Betty White quotes to prove it! (Not for nothing, #1 might be my favorite quote from any human being ever. And how timely, considering the alarming number of politicians who don't know how the female anatomy works!)
1. “Why do people say 'grow some balls'? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding.”
2. “You don't luck into integrity. You work at it.”
3. “Trolls suck.”
4. “All creatures must learn to coexist. That’s why the brown bear and the field mouse can share their lives in harmony. Of course, they can’t mate or the mice would explode.”
5. “Keep the other person's well being in mind when you feel an attack of soul-purging truth coming on”
6. “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves. I don't care whether it's ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, or whose ox is being gored.”
7. "I don't care who anybody sleeps with. If a couple has been together all that time -- and there are gay relationships that are more solid than some heterosexual ones -- I think it's fine if they want to get married. I don't know how people can get so anti-something. Mind your own business, take care of your affairs, and don't worry about other people so much."
8. "Avoid tweeting any photos of your private parts."
9. "You gotta use everything you possibly can!"
10. "Retirement is not in my vocabulary."
See what I mean? Beat that, Honey Boo-Boo.
Do you want Betty White to speak at the DNC?
Image via David Shankbone/Flickr
Do it yourself
Concierge service through your credit card