I'd venture to guess one of the main things both Fifty Shades of Grey haters and fans are most riled up about is the fact that E.L. James penned not one, but three books about Anastasia Steele and Christian Grey. So even if you feel like you've sort of got a hold of the first book, there are still two more to wrap your head around.
As far as the second book, Fifty Shades Darker, is concerned, I've heard mixed reviews. Everything from "OMG I flew threw it, because there's just so much sex!" to "OMG I can't get through it -- it's all sex." But believe it or not, there's also a lot of plot-building that is absolutely necessary for the, errmm, climax of the series. So, without further ado, The Stir's exclusive cheat sheet on the second book in the series of the summer ... (Here's the first for Fifty Shades of Grey if you happened to miss it!)
Jack Hyde - Ana's creepy, touchy-feeling boss at Seattle Independent Publishing who seems to get more menacing as the book goes on.
Elena Lincoln - Beautiful blonde ice queen/cougar type who introduced Christian to BDSM when he was a teen. Ana refers to her as "Mrs. Robinson."
Leila - Christian's ex-sub who had some psychological issues and comes back to haunt him in his new life with Ana.
Mia Grey - Christian's younger sister who ends up having a crush on Katherine Kavanaugh's brother, Ethan.
Elliot Grey - Christian's younger brother who ends up hooking up with and dating Katherine Kavanaugh.
Dr. Flynn - Christian's British psychiatrist who, to Ana's chagrin, "doesn't give much away."
After Ana flees Christian's "Red Room of Pain" and the two spend five days apart, they find their way back to one another and attempt to create a relationship that is both parts vanilla/romantic and "kinky f***ery." But Ana can't enjoy the high life with Christian without avoiding several outside forces -- like Jack Hyde, Elena, Leila -- that seem determined to tear them apart.
5 Most Talked About Scenes:
- The pool table - After using a game of pool as a form of foreplay, Christian bends Anastasia over the table, her "inner goddess grabs a rose between her teeth and starts to tango," and he spanks her -- with a ruler!
- The yacht - Christian takes Ana aboard his fancypants boat The Grace (named after his mom) and lets her steer it. Of course, that's not all he lets her "steer." Heh heh.
- Meeting Leila - Ana comes face-to-face with Christian's past, who is toting a gun! She can't help but think "Holy f***" when Leila "drops to the floor on her knees, her head bowed, and the gun falls and skitters uselessly across the wooden floor."
- Christian lets Ana touch him - After being forbidden from touching her lover on certain areas of his body, Ana's finally given free reign.
- Christian proposes - After a chilling event in which his helicopter goes missing, Christian returns to Seattle, only to realize he wants to give Ana hearts and flowers she so desires. Along with a big fat diamond ring!
Stay tuned for a Fifty Shades Freed (book 3) cheat sheet at the end of the week!
Image via Universal Studios; Africa Studio/shutterstock