It's Kanye West's 35th birthday. Of course, he probably thinks it should be a national holiday. Who knows, in his mind, it probably already is.
But the guy's not all pomp and pretentiousness. His new boo Kim Kardashian has found plenty to love about him besides his brilliant rap and we can too.
In honor of they day he came into the world, here are 8 reasons it's okay not to hate Kanye:
- He isn't afraid to speak his mind. He stunned the entire country when he called out George W. Bush during the Hurricane Katrina telethon. Right or wrong, he said what he believed to be the truth.
- His style is unmatched by any other rapper. He is so serious about fashion that he interned at The Gap before rolling out his own ready-to-wear spring collection.
- He's The Man when it comes to collaborations. He's worked with Jay-Z, Chris Martin, Adam Levine, and more. Everyone wants Kanye on their CD. It almost guarantees a Top 10 hit.
- You never have to wonder which way he's leaning. He's like an open book ... no, a bullhorn. He can't keep anything to himself. He's honest to a fault.
- He's social media savvy. He was one of the first stars to really get into Twitter. Thanks to him, every celeb feels comfortable over-sharing.
- He stands up for his friends. Everyone freaked when Kanye crashed Taylor Swift's VMA acceptance speech and said that the award should have gone to Beyonce. He may be a jerk, but not necessarily wrong on that point.
- He's an awesome boyfriend. He happily goes shopping with Kim and even hangs out with her entire, media-obsessed family. Now that's love!
- His ego is entertaining. As much as we roll our eyes whenever he says something conceited, you have to admit, it's pretty amusing. My personal fave: "I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live." Oh Kanye. Please keep these pearls comin'!
Do you think Kanye has a softer, likable side?
Image via Getty