Well, it's just a crying shame about Ashton and Demi, right? I don't know about you, but I was blindsided by the news. Blindsided! Where, where did this divinely-inspired duo go wrong???
Snort, cough. I don't mean to be, well, mean, but I'm surprised Kutcher and Moore lasted this long and so are you. Not to be overly cynical, but the odds were against the pair from the start. Hollywood marriages are an endangered species to begin with. Add the older woman/younger man dynamic to the mix and ... uh, good luck.
After all, it's not like Demi and Ashton are the first celeb cougar couple to go kaputz. No, the now estranged spouses are in good, or at least plentiful, company.
- Madonna and Guy Ritchie: Madge was 42 when she married the 32-year-old Ritchie. Of course he wasn't the first -- or last -- younger man to catch the Material Girl's eye, but they did go ahead and make it legal. For 7 whole years. (That's one year longer than you-know-who!)
- Halle Berry and Gabriel Aubry: Ms. Berry is just 9 years older than her babydaddy, but apparently that was 9 years too many. Together for 5 years, these two split even sooner than Demi and Ashton, but it seems they'll always have a contentious custody (over daughter Nahla) to keep them together.
- Courteney Cox and David Arquette: Cox is just 7 years older than Arquette, but considering the fact that he seems to have the maturity level of a 14-year-old boy, it's a miracle that they were married for 11 years.
- Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins: Okay, I actually WAS surprised when these two split up. Even though Sarandon is 12 years older than Robbins, they were together for 23 years. (Longer than Ashton Kutcher has been alive! Hahhaha! Not really.)
- Jennifer Aniston and John Mayer:To be fair, I wouldn't necessarily blame the demise of this affair on the 8 year span between birth dates. To quote Joni Mitchell, "You can't hold the hand of a rock n' roll man." I don't see Mayer settling down with anybody anytime soon ever.
Wish celebrity cougar couples do you wish stayed together?
Image via Josh Jensen/Flickr