There are few things that keep me awake past the hour of 10 p.m. before a Monday, but last night's Miss USA Pageant, not to be confused with January's Miss America 2011, was totally worth it. Sure, it may have been hard not to compare every ounce of the last night's competition in Las Vegas to scenes from Miss Congeniality. However, I could barely contain my excitement as Alyssa Campanella, Miss California, took home the crown and was named this year's Miss USA.
You know what I love best about the 21-year-old New Jersey native? She's everything that the stereotypical beauty queen isn't. Looks like she and good ol' Sandra Bullock have a few things in common after all. In fact, Campanella's unconventional pageantries were the same reasons I was rooting for her from the get-go. Starting with her red hair:
1. The woman's a redhead. I totally love it. The best part? It ISN'T natural! She's actually a blonde but dyed her locks red for a fiery part in a play a few years back and said the look felt more like her than her natural 'do. Have you ever seen a redheaded beauty queen? Talk about a victory for auburn beauties everywhere!
2. She's totally nerdtacular. When asked about her interests, the beauty told hosts Andy Cohen and E! News Anchor Giuliana Rancic that she's a huge history geek, and loves everything about the Tudor and Stuart periods. Tudor? Stuart? Shoot. Looks like I have some brushing up to do.
3. She's allergic to the sun. Everyone knows that true pageant girls and, errrr, most women everywhere love to bask in some sun and work on their bronze goddess status. A sun allergy totally works against her, don't you think? Another anomaly from California that makes her even more likable.
4. That dress. I'm sorry, but when I think about pageant gowns, I think something slimming and sparkly that really shows off the figure, you know, like Miss Tennessee's dress. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's anything that the 21-year-old Campanella could put on her body to make her look ugly. But the green mermaid-style gown may have made her look like a cross between Poison Ivy and Ariel. And yet, I found myself adoring her originality.
5. She's about the entire experience. When standing on stage waiting for the final name to be called -- the redhead revealed that she and Miss Tennessee (this year's first runner-up) were actually besties. Best friends? In the pageant world? Who knew? Disclaimer: all of my back-stabbing assumptions of pageantry are based off of what I saw in Miss Congeniality.
6. She's a social media addict. Campanella is a tweet-a-holic. While most beauty queens are practicing their walk or smiling into the mirror, this New Jersey native is checking out what's going down on the web. My favorite tweet from after the big win last night:
In bed watching Miss Congeniality on TBS... Like you really thought I'd be getting sleep tonight. :-P
Take a look at Miss USA's coronation moment from last night's pageant:
Did you watch Miss USA 2011 pageant last night? What do you think of the new Miss USA, Alyssa Campanella?
Image via OK! Magazine