5 Ways Robert Pattinson Saved the MTV Movie Awards
by Jacqueline Burt
June 6, 2011 at 2:07 PM
Silent, smoldering type Robert Pattinson and his uncharacteristically crazy stunts single-handedly saved last night's MTV Movie Awards from becoming a giant snore, and now I can't wait to see more of Edward's wild side! Not that I don't love Pattinson's sultry, wordless gaze or that sexy, long-suffering pout, but who knew this guy could give a boring awards show such a powerful shot of adrenaline? He's funny, in a totally not-trying-to-be-funny way, has an air of unpredictability that's just dangerous enough to keep us on the edge of our seats, and apparently has no qualms about kissing his male co-stars (read on!). These are my picks for Pattinson's Top 5 MTV Award Show-Saving Moments:
- RPatz drops the F-bomb on Reese Witherspoon. The presentation of a lifetime achievement award or, as MTV calls their version, the Generation Award, is usually beyond dull. But thanks to Pattinson's endearing screw-ups, including flubbing jokes and laughing at his own inability to ad-lib as instructed by the teleprompter, Reese Witherspoon had quite the racy award-acceptance experience. Best part? The censors weren't prepared when Pattinson wrapped up his anecdote about shooting Water for Elephants with Reese by saying, "But I did f--k you." So the slip aired live!
- Pattinson plants one on Taylor Lautner. Yeah, we were all soooo surprised when Robert and Kristen Stewart won for Best Kiss (again). But before we could even start to yawn, Pattinson declared he didn't "feel like kissing" Stewart and dashed off the stage into the crowd to give a big sloppy kiss to "someone who would appreciate it more" -- Taylor Lautner! Priceless. Check out the video!
- Robert accidentally announces co-star's pregnancy. When Pattinson, Xavier Samuel, and Bryce Dallas Howard (Victoria) stepped up to the mike to receive the award for Best Fight, it wasn't immediately obvious that Dallas Howard is pregnant (empire waist dress, flowy fabric, you get the picture). Then Pattinson put the trio's awkward banter to an end, responding to Dallas Howard's faux apology for trying to hurt Rob on film by saying, "That's ok, I ripped your head off ... and now you're pregnant!" Whoops! Cut to Kristen Stewart's jaw dropping.
- Pattinson disses Zac Efron on the sly. Accepting his award for Best Male Performance from Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis, Pattinson expressed I'm not worthy surprise by giving a shout-out to his fellow nominee: "Zac Efron was crying and stuff in that little clip!" Nice.
- Rob lets Taylor take over. In a classic display of life imitating art, poor Jacob lost award after award to Edward. So it was a classy and generous gesture for Pattinson to give Lautner sole control of the mike for the Best Picture acceptance speech. (Good thing Gary Busey was stuck in that bubble, or he probably would have stolen the spotlight!)
What was your favorite MTV Movie Awards moment?
Image via MTV
Click the "Like" button below if you're a fan of Taylor Lautner.