The Oscars are this Sunday, February 27, and I couldn't be more excited. Okay, so maybe my excitement has more to do with what the stars will be wearing -- but it's always cool to see who takes home a golden statue, or two.
Standing just over a foot tall, the old Academy Award of Merit (its official name) is a prized possession. Or so one would think. While stars are obviously pretty ecstatic about the actual honor of winning an Oscar, many of them don't seem that enamored of the statue itself. Don't believe me? Just take a look at where some former Oscar winners keep their golden statue.
- Susan Sarandon keeps hers in the bathroom. She told Oprah Winfrey that her kids call the guest bathroom "the famous bathroom." Her Best Actress Oscar for the 1995 film Dead Man Walking is just one of the awards on display there.
- Jodie Foster, a two-time Academy Award winner (1991 Best Actress in The Silence of the Lambs and 1988 Best Actress in The Accused), was also a fan of the bathroom for a bit. She told InStyle that she liked the way they looked with her faucets. (She moved them once they started to get a tad corroded at the bottom.)
- Actor Timothy Hutton keeps his 1980 statuette for Best Supporting Actor in Ordinary People in the refrigerator. The star told USA Today that his sister put it in there during a party, and it hasn't moved since.
- Barbra Streisand keeps her Oscars (1977 Best Song for "Evergreen" and 1968 Best Actress in Funny Girl) in the barn she had custom-built for awards and other career mementos.
- Russell Crowe is right there with Barb. The 2001 winner for Best Actor in Gladiator reportedly keeps his statuette in his chicken coop, where he hopes it inspires his hens to lay bigger eggs.
- Gwyneth Paltrow has said that the golden statue gives her the willies. She's so creeped out that she keeps her 1999 nod for Best Actress in Shakespeare in Love in storage somewhere.
I get it. Maybe once you get the recognition from the Academy on national television, the award itself isn't that important. Still, I think that if I won an Oscar, I'd put it on the mantel above the fireplace. It seems right, don't you think? Plus, it would just clash with my bathroom's silver accessories.
Where would you keep your Oscar statuette?
Image via cliff1066/Flickr