Jamie Foxx, whose new album Best Night of My Life debuted number six on the chart, must have the King Midas touch. Whatever he touches turns to gold -- in the forms of Oscars, Grammies and whatever other awards are out there waiting for him to grab.
His latest album sold an estimated 144,000 copies on its first day. This is the third album from Foxx, and all three have debuted in the top 10 of the US album chart. Intuition debuted at number three in 2008, and Unpredictable debuted in 2005 at number two.
Foxx started his career as a comedian, transitioned into movies and is now a musician and in each of those areas, he had great success. For an actor, that is pretty unusual. Consider these other actors who have tried to do the same thing:
- Jennifer Love Hewitt: In 1995, "Love," as she likes to be called, released an album she called Let's Go Bang. Yep. And that is about how it went down. Only instead of a bang, it was more like a thud.
- Heidi Montag: I am not even sure she qualifies as an actor, but Montag's debut album Superficial -- the one she spent $2 million making (of her own money) -- sold 1,000 copies in its first weeks out. I feel bad for those 1,000 people.
- Scarlett Johansson: You can't win 'em all Scarlett. You are hot and talented as an actress, so why push it? Well, push it she did with Anywhere I Lay My Head in 2008 and it was tragic. Her album of Tom Waits covers made most of us cringe and the rest of us, blessedly, have forgotten it already.
- Bruce Willis: The Return of Bruno may have sounded OK in the 1980's, but today it sounds contrived and awful, totally forgettable. Hopefully there will be no return to the studio for Bruce.
- Brian Austin Green: Hideous, just hideous. His debut rap album One Stop Carnival actually makes his dancing on 90210 look good.
So, let's review: Jamie Foxx is allowed to keep on singing. Everyone else? Stick to acting!
Did you listen to any of these albums?
Image via Facebook