Well, it's not exactly Time's person of the year, but MTV doles out its own yearly acknowledgement: MTV News' Man and Woman of the year. It comes with at least one brief day of press flurry, and these fancy Lucite-looking trophies.
Lady Gaga swept the female category, thankfully beating out Taylor Swift. As for the man who "had the biggest 2010"? Love him or hate him, the honor went to Kanye West.
Eminem sold the most albums and Usher had the hottest single, but at the end of 2010, MTV says, "There really is no other choice for MTV News' Man of the Year than Kanye West."
As much as I think West needs a good dickpunch or two, I have to agree no one took over pop culture in the same way this year. A few of Kanye's 2010 highlights (or lowlights, depending on how you view them):
• After his infamous Imma Let U Finish behavior at the 2009 VMAs, Kanye canceled his Fame Kills tour with Lady Gaga and virtually disappeared from the public eye for a while.
• In March he hinted that he was working on something via a lengthy blog post, and in May his single "Power" hit the web to mass appeal.
• He joined Twitter, delivering forth an enjoyably insane stream of ... well, stuff like this: "I specifically ordered Persian rugs with cherub imagery!!! What do I have to do to get a simple Persian rug with cherub imagery uuuuugh"
• In August, he premiered the 90-second clip for "Power" and spent the next month working with a ton of people, from Bon Iver to Justin Bieber.
• He premiered a new song, "Runaway," at the 2010 VMAs, announced his new album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, and began screening Runaway, the 35-minute film he directed.
• In November he had a tussle with Matt Lauer for interrupting him during a Today Show taping.
• Recently, he was rumored to have impregnated Kim Kardashian.
I don't love the guy—but hot damn if My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy isn't a work of genius. I can't stop listening to it. MTV, I'm going to have to (reluctantly) agree with you on this one.
What do you think, does Kanye deserve to be MTV Man of the Year?
Image via Facebook