Jennifer Grey and Derek HoughIt has come to my attention that Jennifer Grey, star of the ‘80s classic Dirty Dancing, is on this season’s Dancing With the Stars. This, friends, is what we call “postmodern” and “meta” and “self-referential,” not to mention “weird."
I mean, she’s a movie star who was in a movie about dancing, and now she’s dancing on TV. It’s like that time Ronald Reagan mixed up stuff he did as President with stuff he did in movies. And all those times Ginger saved the day on Gilligan’s Island by remembering things from the movies she was in.
Which leads me to wonder. If this movie star can use her onscreen experience to try to win a reality show ... what other celebs could do the same? Here’s my fantasy reality-TV casting:
If Jennifer Grey (Dirty Dancing) can be on Dancing With the Stars, then:
- Amy Adams (Julie and Julia) should be on Top Chef
- Tom Hanks (Castaway) should be on Survivor
- Gwyneth Paltrow (Shallow Hal) should be on The Biggest Loser
- Dustin Hoffman (Tootsie) should be on RuPaul's Drag Race
- George Clooney (The Perfect Storm) should be on Deadliest Catch
- Nicole Kidman (The Others) should be on Ghost Hunters
- Goldie Hawn (Overboard) should be on Wife Swap
- James Franco (127 Hours) should be on Man vs. Wild
- Shia LaBeouf (Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps) should be on The Apprentice
- Diana Ross (Mahogany) should be on Project Runway
What movie star do you think is qualified to go on a reality show?
Image via ABC