Photo by Michael Loccisano/Getty
Some celebrities have the most outrageous requests in their riders (documents that provide all of the tiny details on what the artists want, how they want it, and when they want it). The Smoking Gun is a website that has 257 published excerpts of various artists' backstage demands. I looked through several, but these 15 take the cake:
- After reading The Foo Fighters' rider, I kind of want to hang out with these guys. They joke throughout the whole document: "large bath towels - if they are new and unwashed, you will receive a wedgie," and ask for a "bag of Pirate Booty - not Johnny Depp's."
- Jennifer Lopez: Miss Jenny From the Block is also Miss Diva. Even during her charity events she's high maintenance, demanding that her coffee be stirred counter-clockwise. Wow.
- Will Ferrell's wishes aren't too out-of-reach ... an electric three-wheel scooter, a headset microphone (Janet Jackson-style), one fake tree, and a rainbow on wheels ... all easily found at your local Walmart.
- Red Hot Chili Peppers request a draped meditation room ... but it better not be blue.
- The guys from Outkast are quite the snobs ... they must have fine china and appropriate linens for when they chow down on their peanut butter sandwiches, donuts, and cookies.
- Mick Jagger demands a private "running area" approximately 25x30x10, preferably near the dressing room, but if not, they'll improvise. Good to know that they're willing to be flexible on where to put the massive private space.
- Cher likes to give both her masseuse and her wigs their separate rooms. Hey, wigs have the right to party, too.
- Johnny Cash always required an American flag to be in full view of the audience during his performances. Proud to be an American, I love it!
- I suppose Michael Buble is a big hockey fan because he requests the local team's hockey puck in his dressing room at each show. That's so Canadian. It's also a heck of a lot of hockey pucks.
- Shania Twain definitely has no qualms for requesting tons of food and drink, but what about the local choir that performs with her? Twelve lousy cans of soda and some spring water for 18 performers. Not exactly the most generous person in the world.
- John Mayer keeps his pearly whites clean backstage with four soft-head toothbrushes, a bottle of Listerine, two small tubes of mint-flavored toothpaste (Sensodyne or Tom's of Maine), and two packages of Altoids breath mints. And then he negates all of it by eating sugary "kids' brand cereal" (either Cap'n Crunch, Count Chocula, Lucky Charms, Cookie Crisp, or Cinnamin Toast Crunch).
- Bloodhound Gang likes their Skittles separated by color. My question is, are they even cool enough be able to make a demand like that?
- Marilyn Manson's rider completely ruins his image for me. I was expecting vials of blood but the devil-worshipping artist prefers gummi bears.
- Do not, I repeat, do not give Carrot Top carrot cake. He's not amused. Clearly, the comedian can't take a joke. Irony.
- The best rider award goes to Iggy Pop, hands down. All eighteen pages are filled with hilarity. One of my favorite "demands" was "Somebody dressed as Bob Hope. Doing fantastic Bob Hope impersonations and telling all those hilarious Bob Hope jokes about golf and Hollywood and Bing Crosby."
See if your favorite artist is on the The Smoking Gun's list and tell us some of the crazy things they request.