Toddler Hospitalized After Chewing on a Baggie Containing Heroin

HEROIN BAGGIE house
WQAD

A 16-month-old toddler is lucky to be alive after an accidentally ingesting heroin. Police say a Pennsylvania toddler consumed the drug while the mother overdosed on Monday. The child's father allegedly came home that evening to find his son and girlfriend (the boy's mother) totally unconscious. 

The baby is believed to have chewed on a baggie containing the illicit substance, according to police. 

“In my opinion, when children get into mom and dad or guardians’ habits, and those habits are drug addiction, then why should the poor child suffer?” said Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood. “They are putting that baby in harm’s way. They are putting that baby at great human danger, and they deserve to be punished the way the law can punish them.”

After obtaining a search warrant, investigators found even more empty bags of heroin in the home. Charges against the parents are pending, reports WQAD News 8.

Luckily, the 16-month-old boy was treated with Narcan, a nasal spray that can treat opioid addiction, and is in recovery at Children's Hospital. The child's mother also survived. 

Advertisement
Read More >