2 Toddlers Reportedly Die in Fire While Mom Gets Her Hair Styled

Two toddlers are dead in Bastrop, Louisiana, when their home caught fire as their mom was out getting her hair done. Police say that 21-year-old Ciarria Johnson left her two children, 4-year-old Ta’shae and 3-year-old Clifton, alone in the house for hours while she had her hair styled.


Reportedly, while she was away, two gas-powered space heaters caught fire and the blaze ripped through the home, killing both children.

Johnson has been charged with negligent homicide.

I truly feel for this mom who left her home and returned to find it "engulfed in flames." She must have been frantic and devastated. Whether or not she left them alone, I doubt very much she wished them to die in such a horrific manner.

However, this doesn't sound like an overwhelmed, harried mom who briefly left her kids so she could run to the store and get milk. A mom who couldn't find a babysitter and chose to quickly run an errand rather than do all of the work involved in getting two young children ready to leave the house.

This is reportedly a mom who was out getting her hair styled. For hours. It's unclear why she did it, maybe the children were asleep and they normally slept for hours, who knows. But it's dangerous. This story is exactly why you don't leave kids alone, even if you think it will be fine.

The mom reportedly told police that she had made arrangements for a relative to watch her kids, but investigators say that is untrue. State Fire Marshal Deputy Chief Brant Thompson told USA Today:

Our investigation determined that she made no such arrangements. That's what is so disturbing to us. There were family members around she could have called, but she just didn't bother.

More from The Stir: Mom Makes Fatal Decision to Try to Save 7-Year-Old Daughter From Fire

Tragic to think any mom would think it's a good idea to leave two toddlers home alone. But I feel for this young mom too. She will be hurting the rest of her life.


Image via Louisiana State Office of the Fire Marshal

Read More >