Cruel Kids Nearly Kill Classmate With Severe Nut Allergy

evil peanutsA high school student in Sweden nearly died after suffering an allergic reaction this week. Was she eating in a new restaurant or trying a new food? No. The student in question was at a location that should be the safest for kids her age. She was at school.

Allergies are a serious business. They are very different than having a "sensitivity" to certain foods. This is something Linn Jurnberg, 18, tried to make clear when she posted a notice on a bulletin board reminding her fellow students that she had a severe nut allergy. If anything, the signage had the opposite of its intended effect. In fact, the results were almost deadly.


It appears, reports the school's principal, that moments after posting the notice on the bulletin board, it was deliberately ripped down. The authorities currently believe that Linn was then felled by her fellow students. Some of her teachers says that students were "stockpiling" nuts and slipped a hazelnut in Linn's water when she wasn't looking. She nearly suffocated and died as a result.

The principal is taking this seriously, as he should. He's not mincing words, either: "Either the student who did this is completely stupid or it's attempted manslaughter." I think it's a combination of the two. A stupid crime. A "prank" is something harmless. The only thing that gets hurt when you pull a prank on someone is someone's ego. Knowing that putting nuts in Junrberg's water would cause her death is malicious. We leave the realm of "pranks" when the end result is serious injury or death. 

Do you think this is a serious crime or just a prank that got out of hand?


Image via Peter Reali/Corbis

Read More >