'RHOBH' Kyle Richards' Daughter's Recent Health Scare Should Serve as a Warning to All Parents

Kyle Richards and PortiaIf you watched the season premiere of The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Monday night, you got an adorable glimpse of Kyle Richards' 4-year-old daughter Portia as she called the ladies to invite them to her party. But shortly before that aired, Kyle got some shocking news about her daughter that could have been deadly.

According to RumorFix, Kyle told Ryan Seacrest that she was on her way to New York with her husband Mauricio Monday when she got an urgent email. It seems that somehow Portia had swallowed a watch battery from a light-up necklace.


More from The Stir: 10 Most Scathing 'Real Housewives' Slams of All Time (PHOTOS)

She told Anderson Cooper:

For some reason, it looked like a little mint. She decided to put it in her mouth as a joke, and then she goes, ‘Gulp! I swallowed one!’

Yikes! Fortunately, she's okay, and after an X-ray, doctors determined that the battery would pass on its own. Yesterday Kyle took to Twitter to thank fans for their support and provide an update: "Thanks to everyone that asked about Portia. She's fine. Battery is out! Going home a day early though. I have Mommy anxiety!!"

So phew, but it easily could have turned into something much more serious, and it should serve as a reminder to all parents. In August, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released a study that showed the growing risk of small batteries that are found in toys, electronics and other devices. Between 1997-2010, 14 children aged 13 and under died, and more than 40,000 have been injured from small batteries.

While some small batteries may pass like Portia's finally did, other types can be deadly, either due to choking, or because they can do serious internal damage.

The CPSC recommends some tips to prevent accidental battery ingestion including:

  • Discard button batteries carefully.
  • Do not allow children to play with button batteries, and keep button batteries out of your child's reach.
  • Caution hearing aid users to keep hearing aids and batteries out of the reach of children.
  • Keep remotes and other electronics out of your child's reach if the battery compartments do not have a screw to secure them. Use tape to help secure the battery compartment.
  • If a button battery is ingested, immediately seek medical attention. The National Battery Ingestion Hotline is available anytime at (202) 625-3333 (call collect if necessary), or call your poison center at (800) 222-1222.

Do you make sure there are no small batteries lose in your home?


Image via Bravo

Read More >