Peaches Geldof's Coroner Report Reveals Depth of Her Addiction

Peaches GeldofIt's been almost four months since 25-year-old British socialite and model Peaches Geldof was found dead in her southeast England home on April 7, and today the official cause of her death has been released. A coroner has ruled that Geldof had codeine, methadone, and morphine in her system, the latter coming from heroin, and that the heroin levels were within the fatal range.

The confirmation that Geldof died from a heroin overdose isn't surprising, but the inquest revealed sad new details about her addiction. She'd been taking methadone for two and a half years before her death, and according to her husband, she had relapsed in February.


Geldof's husband Thomas Cohen gave evidence during the inquest, sharing that he'd discovered her relapse into heroin use in February of 2014. At the time, Geldof had confessed and flushed the drugs in front of him, and Cohen said Geldof had been taking weekly drugs tests, which she claimed were negative. He now believes she was lying about the tests, although he'd had no further reason to suspect her heroin use at the time.

When he'd last spoken to her on the Sunday before her death, Cohen found her coherent and had no concerns for her well-being. After he was unable to get through to her the next morning, he drove home to discover Geldof's body slumped forward on the bed of their spare bedroom.

The lead investigator described the evidence found at the scene of her death:

The presence of the tied tights as a possible tourniquet, burnt spoon, cotton bud end, and used syringe in close proximity to Peaches' body suggests that heroin has been partly prepared and consumed at some time in the room Peaches was found.

The coroner reports that the drugs found were 61 percent pure, much higher than the usual 25 percent of street-grade heroin. To that end, it seems that Geldof's overdose was accidental:

There is no indication that Peaches intended to take her own life or harm herself in any way ... Someone who stops or ceases to use heroin then resumes is less able to tolerate the levels they previously had.

The whole thing is beyond tragic, particularly since her 11-month old son, Phaedra, was at home with her when she died -- possibly for many hours after she passed away. Geldof’s mother, Paula Yates, also died from a heroin overdose in 2000. Peaches Geldof had clearly tried to battle her addiction through treatment and substitute medication, but for reasons most people will never understand, she returned to heroin and eventually allowed it to take everything away from her.

More from The Stir: Model Peaches Geldof's Tragic Death Leaves 2 Babies Behind

For Geldof's two young sons and the rest of her family and friends, it's a horrible loss. For whatever it's worth, I hope the sad results of this inquest at least bring some sense of closure.

Image via peaches_g/Twitter

Read More >